DC’s very first Cup-In-Hand Kickball + Flip Cup League is here! Volo City DC is your #1 destination for Adult Kickball Leagues in Washington, DC. Cup in Hand Kickball is a great way to play a sport you love with a twist!. These are the MOST SOCIAL leagues in DC!
Cup in hand means just that…while you play your game you will constantly have a cup filled with your beverage of choice! The beverage level can never drop below the “2nd line” of your cup (think Solos). It takes a true athlete to catch a large red rubber ball while holding a drink 🙂
Did we mention that our bar is ON THE FIELD so never go thirsty again! Our DJ is going to be ON THE FIELD too at our brand new Volo City stadium in Navy Yard, right outside of Audi Field!
Flip Cup is mandatory (drinking is NOT) and counts in the season standings for your DC Kickball + Flip Cup League! You can join our extremely social Kickball league as a team, small group of friends or solo!
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full kickball team is 15. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in DC!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
Cup-In-Hand Kickball FAQ’s
CUP IN HAND KICKBALL FAQ
How much does it cost to join VOlO DC Kickball?
Registration dues vary by location and night. Most leagues range in cost from $45 – $69. This fee covers insurance, permit costs, referees, equipment, player t-shirts, parties, prizes, recruiting, and the tons of other Volo City events that we will be hosting throughout the year.
Is this a competitive league?
This is one of our most social leagues here at Volo DC! The field is attached to the bar, and you are required to have a cup in hand (does not need to have alcohol in it though just a liquid).
What’s a VOLO CITY DC Kickball night like?
Tons of fun! On game night you’ll want to arrive 10-15 minutes before your game to meet your teammates and get ready to play. Game play if 45 minutes or 6 innings, whichever comes first. After your game ends head to our sponsor bar for your flip cup game (this counts in your overall standings) drink specials and getting to know your fellow kickball players!
How big is a team?
The minimum number for a kickball team is 18 players. If you do not reach team status fear not, we will merge you with other groups to hit the minimum. Merged teams are generally larger to protect against forfeits. Want a larger or smaller team? You can register as a prepaid team to have as many or as few players on your roster.
Can I Bring A friend?
Absolutely! Friends and subs are always welcome during the regular season. Our Motto is the more the merrier! Just make sure they are wearing a shirt color similar to your team 🙂 During playoffs unfortunately all players must be a registered member of your team.
Are there gender requirements?
Yes! Teams play 12v12 game, and each team can have a maximum of 7 males on the field. The minimum required players are 6 total players with at least two of those players being females.
I love kickball so much, how else can I play?
We love to hear that, and guess what? You are in luck! We have a variety of different weekend tournaments and other fun events to get your softball fix. Check out our Tournament’s page to see all the upcoming fun including our Volo City Kickball 2019 City Championships.
Cup-In-Hand Kickball Rules
Kickball Cup in Hand RULES
Rule #1: Don’t be a D-Bag!!!
12 v 12
- 12 players max on the field, 1 catcher
- 7 males max. on the field
- 6 minimum to play, 2 females
- Kickball wins are worth 2 points, Flip Cup wins are worth 1 point
*Playoff seating is based on TOTAL POINTS from the season*
- NO bunting – bunts are a foul ball
- Bunt: ball that does not cross the imaginary line between 1st and 3rd bases OR at the ref’s discretion
- NO leading off bases
- NO stealing
- Sliding is ALLOWED
- At ref’s discretion – any slide that results in excessive contact with the defensive player will result in the runner being OUT
- You CAN throw the ball at base runners but NO head shots
- Head shots will result in a dead ball and all players will be safe
- Players hit in the head get an extra base (UNLESS they duck into the head shot – considered out)
- ALL pitches MUST be thrown underhand and slow pitch (no spin or bounce)
- If excessive, the ref may ask you to switch your pitcher
- 2 fouls is considered an out – NO STRIKES OR BALLS
- 6 innings in a game
- UNLESS we reach 45 minute warning – both teams will be warned and the start of the next inning will be the final inning
- Mercy Rule – lessens the chance of having blowouts early in the games (boring for everyone)
- Max. 5 runs can be scored per inning (EXCEPT the last inning – no limit)
- Games CAN end in a tie during the regular season
- No more than 3 males can bat in a row
- Females can bat multiple times within the batting order to have 3-1 ratio but MUST bat in order in regards to other females
- The losing team will ALWAYS bat first at the beginning of the LAST INNING (unlimited runs) – this limits blowouts by the winning team
Cup in Hand:
- All active players (all defensive fielders and offensive kickers/runners) MUST have liquid (ANY liquid allowed including water) in their cups ABOVE the designated line (2nd groove in a standard Solo cup)
- If a fielder makes a catch/gets the offensive player out in any way BUT loses too much liquid from their cup (under the designated line) – that offensive player is SAFE
- If a fielder makes a play for an out/outs is found (by the ref) to have less than the designated amount of liquid, the player who got out goes back to the closest base they were on prior to getting out
- A fielder CANNOT place their cup in their mouth/armpit/etc. or set/drop their cup to make a play (if this happens, the play is dead and the offensive player is safe/given the next base)
- If a fielder makes a play WITHOUT A CUP IN THEIR HAND the runners get the next base or the base they were running towards
- If a runner’s liquid level falls below the line, that runner is OUT
- Teams MUST have a designated refill person ready to refill teammates cups – keeps pace of the game
- If a staff member or ref deems a player TOO UNRULY, they can tell the player to continue with WATER ONLY (failure to comply will result in this player being ejected from the league)
*Teams without the minimum players will forfeit after 10 minutes from their designated start time
*Playoffs ONLY – At the beginning of each game, both teams MUST submit a written list of their batting order to the ref*
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**
- There is a 5 female minimum on the field at a time
- Teams will have 12 players on the field on defense for regular kickball
- There is no gender requirements for kicking orders but teams must use the same line up each time through the order
- Games are 6 innings or 45 minutes whichever comes first
- There is an 5 run limit in all but the last inning
- Kickball win = 2 points
- Flip cup win = 1 point
- Flip Cup games best of 7
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with Volo City DC Kickball + Flip Cup League enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in DC and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!