Lace up your cleats and grab your stick, and head on over to a Volo City DC Field Hockey League! Volo City offers coed field hockey leagues throughout Washington, DC so there’s a location for everyone. Our players compete for 7 weeks (including playoffs) on some of the best fields in DC. Join one of our weekday or weekend coed leagues to show off your field hockey moves and have a great time!
After your DC Field Hockey League, keep the fun going and head over to your sponsor bar for a post-game beer! We pride ourselves in making sure that you don’t have to worry about anything except HAVING FUN.
WHERE WE PLAY
We Play all across the DC! Some of our most popular locations include a beautiful turf field in Petworth! Find your perfect VOLO DC Field Hockey league below!
Upcoming Field Hockey Leagues in DC
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full 7v7 Field Hockey team is 10. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in DC!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- No Gender Rules
- Mouth Guard & Shin guards required to play each week.
- BYOS (Bring your Own Stick)
- Certified referees for all games.
- Season lasts 6 weeks plus playoffs.
- All teams make the playoffs (unless team forfeits 2x)
- All small groups and individuals will be merged into full teams when registration closes
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with Volo City DC enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in DC and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your DC Soccer League
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!
Field Hockey FAQ’s
FIELD HOCKEY FAQ’s
How much does it cost to join a VOlO DC Field Hockey League?
Registration dues vary by location and night. Most leagues range in cost from $39 – $55. This fee covers insurance, permit costs, referees, equipment, player t-shirts, parties, prizes, recruiting, and the tons of other Volo City events that we will be hosting throughout the year.
Is this a competitive league?
Volo City is a social sports company! While we do offer some competitive leagues (these are typically noted as competitive in their title) most of our leagues are social leagues. Dependent on league size we may offer A Division and B Division. A Division is slightly more competitive while B Division is slightly less competitive. Check each league for further details.
What’s a VOLO CITY DC Field Hockey night like?
Tons of fun! On game night you’ll want to arrive 10-15 minutes before your game to meet your teammates and get ready to play. Game play is 40 minutes total consisting of two 20 minute halves. After your game ends head to our sponsor bar for your drink specials and getting to know your fellow field hockey players!
How big is a team?
The minimum number for a field hockey team is 9 players. If you do not reach team status fear not, we will merge you with other groups to hit the minimum. We typically keep merged teams larger to protect against forfeits. Want a larger or smaller team then normal? You can register as a prepaid team to have as many or as few players on your roster.
Can I Bring A friend?
Absolutely! Friends and subs are always welcome during the regular season. Our Motto is the more the merrier! Just make sure they are wearing a shirt color similar to your team 🙂 During playoffs unfortunately all players must be a registered member of your team.
Are there gender requirements?
Nope! The league is 7v7, but there are no gender requirements for teams. The minimum players needed for an official Volo City Field Hokey game is 4 players present.
Field Hockey Rules
Basic Rules – 7 v 7 including goalies
- Minimum 4 to play
- 10 completes the roster
- 20 minutes per half, no overtime in regular season
- Shin guards AND mouth guards are mandatory
- Any rules not explicitly stated below will follow the official USA field hockey 7v7 rules that can be accessed here.
- No subbing on short corners
- The referee should be made aware of the substitution, but the game does not need to be stopped.
- Goalkeepers must have all proper equipment to play – including a neck guard, pelvic protector, and mouth guard.
- Teams without a goalkeeper may have an extra player on the field – no players with goalkeeper privileges
- If a goalkeeper mishandles the ball in the scoring circle, a corner is awarded to the other team. No strokes.
- A free hit is awarded to the non-offending side following an infraction and are usually taken at the spot the foul occurs.
- Opposing team must give 5 yard distance from the place of the free hit
- Self- pass is allowed
If game ends in a tie in playoffs:
- Game goes straight into shootouts. Best of 5.
- 5 players from each team will be selected to shoot
- If tied at the end of 5 shots, teams go one for one alternating until one team makes a shot and the other misses.
- All players must shoot once until everyone (including the goalie) on the team with the lower number of playershas shot. After this point, both teams can restart their roster.
Weather Related Game Cancellation: Suspended Games – If, due to weather conditions, safety conditions, or referee discretion, a game is halted prior to halftime, it will be replayed if possible. A game halted at half time or later will stand as indicated by the score when the game was halted
*Teams without the minimum players will forfeit after 10 minutes from their designated start time*
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**