Volo City DC Field Hockey Rules
Rule #1: Don’t be a D-Bag!!!
Basic Rules – 7 v 7 including goalies
- Minimum 4 to play
- 10 completes the roster
- 20 minutes per half, no overtime in regular season
- Shin guards AND mouth guards are mandatory
- Any rules not explicitly stated below will follow the official USA field hockey 7v7 rules that can be accessed here.
- No subbing on short corners
- The referee should be made aware of the substitution, but the game does not need to be stopped.
- Goalkeepers must have all proper equipment to play – including a neck guard, pelvic protector, and mouth guard.
- Teams without a goalkeeper may have an extra player on the field – no players with goalkeeper privileges
- If a goalkeeper mishandles the ball in the scoring circle, a corner is awarded to the other team. No strokes.
- A free hit is awarded to the non-offending side following an infraction and are usually taken at the spot the foul occurs.
- Opposing team must give 5 yard distance from the place of the free hit
- Self- pass is allowed
If game ends in a tie in playoffs:
- Game goes straight into shootouts. Best of 5.
- 5 players from each team will be selected to shoot
- If tied at the end of 5 shots, teams go one for one alternating until one team makes a shot and the other misses.
- All players must shoot once until everyone (including the goalie) on the team with the lower number of players has shot. After this point, both teams can restart their roster.
Weather Related Game Cancellation: Suspended Games – If, due to weather conditions, safety conditions, or referee discretion, a game is halted prior to halftime, it will be replayed if possible. A game halted at half time or later will stand as indicated by the score when the game was halted
*Teams without the minimum players will forfeit after 10 minutes from their designated start time*
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**