Lace up your cleats and kick the ball around in a Volo City DC Soccer League! Volo City offers coed soccer leagues throughout Washington, DC so there’s a location for everyone. Our players compete for 7 weeks (including playoffs) on some of the best turf fields in DC. Join one of our weekday or weekend coed leagues to show off your soccer moves and have a great time!
After your DC Soccer League, keep the fun going and head over to your sponsor bar for a post-game beer! We pride ourselves in making sure that you don’t have to worry about anything except HAVING FUN.
WHERE WE PLAY
We Play all across the DC! Some of our most popular locations include The National Mall, Adams Morgan, DuPont as well as our TURF leagues in Petworth, Navy Yard and Union Market Neighborhoods. We have all the above DC Soccer Leagues as well as other local neighborhoods! Find your perfect VOLO DC SOCCER league below!
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full 7v7 Soccer team is 12. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in DC!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
How much does it cost to join VOlO DC Soccer?
Registration dues vary by location and night. Most leagues range in cost from $45 – $69. This fee covers insurance, permit costs, referees, equipment, player t-shirts, parties, prizes, recruiting, and the tons of other Volo City events that we will be hosting throughout the year.
Is this a competitive league?
Volo City is a social sports company! While we do offer some competitive leagues (these are typically noted as competitive in their title) most of our leagues are social leagues. Dependent on league size we may offer A Division and B Division. A Division is slightly more competitive while B Division is slightly less competitive. Check each league for further details.
What’s a VOLO CITY DC Soccer night like?
Tons of fun! On game night you’ll want to arrive 10-15 minutes before your game to meet your teammates and get ready to play. Game play is 40 minutes total consisting of two 20 minute halves. After your game ends head to our sponsor bar for drink specials and getting to know your fellow soccer players!
How big is a team?
The minimum number for a soccer team is 12 players. If you do not reach team status fear not, we will merge you with other groups to hit the minimum. Merged teams are generally larger to protect against forfeits. Want a larger or smaller team? You can register as a prepaid team to have as many or as few players on your roster.
Can I Bring A friend?
Absolutely! Friends and subs are always welcome during the regular season. Our Motto is the more the merrier! Just make sure they are wearing a shirt color similar to your team 🙂 During playoffs unfortunately all players must be a registered memeber of your team.
Are there gender requirements?
Yes! Each team can have a maximum of 5 males on the field. The minimum required players are 4 total players.
First and foremost all VOLO DC leagues are 50% Social and 50% Sport. We do have officials; however, we expect individuals to respect the league’s culture of fair and fun play. Foul language and rough play will not be tolerated and individuals who cannot adhere to our standards of fair play and sportsmanship may be asked to leave the league. VOLO DC wants everyone to have fun and be social while enjoying a great sport. VOLO DC will do whatever they can to make sure all players are having fun.
Registrations & Team Size
We are also proud to welcome those who do not have a full team (small groups and free agents) to participate in our league.
Our primary mission is to make it easier for people to have fun and get involved with social sports and these policies help accomplish that goal.
Because of these policies, all registrations are on a first come first serve basis and any roster that does not reach our standard size (based on each sport) is eligible to receive free agents and or small group by the league. Rosters made up of primarily free agents and or a collection of small groups may field more players than the standard roster size. This policy is in place to help ensure free agent teams are able to consistently field teams each week.
Equipment – Please consider when preparing for the season
- Shin guards (must be totally covered by socks to reduce the risk of injury) are mandatory and are an absolute requirement for all players.
- Only soccer/athletic shoes are acceptable. No metal cleats. Referees’ decisions on footwear suitability are final.
- Some areas on the National Mall might not be able to have cleats.
Teams will play two 20-24 minute halves. There will be a running clock with a 2-4 minute half-time. Game times and half lengths are subject to time restrictions from a facility or permit.
- Teams must be ready to play their game within ten (10) minutes of the scheduled game time.
- Referees are responsible for managing substitutions and shall be made upon his/her consent.
- Generally speaking, unlimited Substitutions may be made with the consent of the referee at the following times:
- Throw In – YOUR possession.
- Goal kick – either team.
- Goal – either team.
- Injury when the referee stops play that team is allowed to substitute for the injured player. The opposing team is then allowed to substitute a single player.
- Yellow Card – Referee may choose for an immediate substitution of carded player. Carded players will remain on the sideline for at least two (2) minutes.
- Slide tackling is NOT permitted.
- The performance of a slide tackle may be grounds for a penalty/card on the part of the referee. The level can be up to a red card or just a warning depending on the severity which is up to the discretion of the referee. Players may slide when not creating a dangerous play, i.e. sliding to keep a ball in play away from other players.
We do not have any offsides
Misconduct and Fouls
Yellow Card – Referees will immediately let the player know. Depending on the infraction the ref COULD have the player cool down if needed before returning.
Red Card – A player receiving a red card, or two (2) yellow cards in the same match, must leave the field (possibly the facility depending of the refs decision) without substitution.
Any player receiving a red card will be suspended from the following match.
Multiple red cards in one season will be grounds for suspension -without refund- from the league.
Handballs: Intentional vs. Unintentional
When a handball occurs it is at the discretion of the referee to deem it intentional (foul) or unintentional (change or possession,free kick). ANY handball that occurs inside the goalie box will result in a direct penalty kick for the offensive team or a goal/free kick for the defensive team depending on the team at fault.
Penalty Kicks – penalty kicks can be awarded during a game if a foul occurs in the goalie box. It is at the discretion of the referee to award a direct kick penalty kick or to award an indirect kick.
There is to be no contact or over aggression with the goalie or any field player.
- A first offense will result in a warning.
- A second offense will result in a player being taken off the field for a time period determined by the ref dependent on severity.
- A third offense will result in a player being taken out of the game and possibly suspended for the following game. Calls are at the discretion of the ref.
Fouls are at the discretion of the ref and all penalties assessed for said fouls are the refs decision. We are a social league and want to make sure everyone has a good time and most importantly is safe.
Goalkeepers may punt, throw, or send goal kicks as far as they like across the half-line.
Goalkeepers may throw in the ball for their team.
Goalkeepers are to have a safe zone and no player should make contact with them at any time.
Goalkeepers may not handle a throw in by their team with their own hands unless touched by an opposing player on the way in.
A goalkeeper may be permitted to throw in the ball for their team.
The goalkeeper may not pick up the ball with their hands when thrown in by their own player unless it touches someone from the opposing team.
Throw-ins must be conducted near the spot the ball left the field, and with both feet touching the ground, as well as the proper form of both hands coming from behind the head in a forward motion. Players will be given an opportunity to correct a throw in one time,at the discretion of the ref, if at that point it is still a bad throw the ball can be given to the opposite team.
All fouls will be followed by an indirect kick unless it is a foul in the box that the ref indicates is a penalty kick.
All players conducting Free Kicks are expected to have a reasonable amount of space to make the kick. The opposing team should allow a five (5) pace distance for the Free Kick to be conducted.
Discipline – The Team Captain assumes the responsibility regarding team leadership and maintenance of order and discipline. VOLO SPORTS LEAGUES expects each Captain to set a positive example for their players in promoting good sportsmanship and self- control.
Sideline Control – The Captain is responsible for the behavior of his/her bench area. After being verbally warned or cautioned (yellow card) by the referee for unsportsmanlike behavior from his/her bench area, the Captain will receive a red card if the situation persists.
The referee also has the power to eject any spectator at any time at his or her discretion.
Use of Foul Language is not appreciated in any circumstances and can result in a warning or in extreme circumstances can result in ejection from a game. Volo City plays on city park property and there are others present during games, thus, we cannot allow for inappropriate conduct.
VOLO will refuse registration to any player currently on suspension from any Washington DC-area league.
VOLO also reserves the right to suspend players from league play.
This is at the sole discretion of VOLO and cannot be appealed. Registration fees will not be refunded to suspended players.
- If there is a tie at the end of regulation during the regular season, that games will be recorded as a tie.
2.. If there is a tie at the end of regulation during playoffs, the game will be determined by a shootout.
- Teams select 5 players to shoot ( 3 guys in the shootout)
- Teams will alternate taking direct penalty shots from the penalty (if available) or 12 yards from the goal-line with a goalie. (no male/female shooting order is necessary but 3 guys max can shoot in shootouts.)
- If tied after the 1st round of 5v5, the 2nd round will be SUDDEN DEATH (i.e., 1st player from Team A scores and 1st player from Team B misses – Team A wins)
- Players who shot in the 1st shootout are not eligible to shoot again until all remaining players present have shot from one team. Once all of the players on one team has shot, both teams can then start the lineup over.
- If and when one (1) team begins to utilize players for the second time due to a lack of numbers, the other team may “re-use” players as well. This means some players on the team with more people present may or may not shoot.
Playoff Eligibility: teams that notch 2 or more forfeits during the regular season will not be eligible for the playoffs
- 6v6 leagues – 2 female, 4 male : minimum 4 to play, 1 female
- 7v7 leagues – 2 female, 5 male: minimum 5 to play, 1 female
- 11v11 leagues – 4 female 7 male: minimum 7 to play, 2 female
- Shin guards required to play each week.
- Certified referees for all games.
- Season lasts 6 weeks plus playoffs.
- All teams make the playoffs (unless team forfeits 2x)
- All small groups and individuals will be merged into full teams when registration closes
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with Volo City DC enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in DC and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your DC Soccer League
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!