Ready, SET, SPIKE!
Get your game on and join the DC Volleyball League. Join one of our volleyball leagues in Washington, DC for a fun and social time on the court. DC Volleyball League games are played on sand courts with high-quality nets and equipment. Our leagues are laid back and social, and we welcome all skill levels. All you need to do is show up and find your team – we’ve got everything else covered!
COVID Safety Standards
- Health Declaration via the Volo App before each activity.
- Temperature checks to ensure body temperature does not exceed 100.4
- Hand Sanitizing Stations will be provided at each league.
- Equipment Sanitization during and in between league play to mitigate the spread of germs.
- Face Masks are required to be worn by staff and players at all times. Click here for in-game Mask Enforcement details.p
- Notifications of illness within 14 days of play will be reported to Volo customer service and Volo will notify potentially exposed persons.
- Social Distancing via clear markers to keep players 6 feet apart.
- Limited Activity Capacity in adherence to local guidelines.
- Modified Rules when necessary to limit contact and maintain social distancing.
Upcoming Volleyball Leagues in DC
We pride ourselves in making sure that we provide everything you need to play safely, relax, and have a blast. All you need to do is show up and find your team – we’ve got everything else covered! Click here for more details on our COVID Safety Standards.
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full Volleyball team is 9. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in DC!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
How much does it cost to join a VOLO DC Volleyball League?
Registration dues vary by location and night. Most leagues range in cost from $45 – $69. This fee covers insurance, permit costs, referees, equipment, player t-shirts, parties, prizes, recruiting, and the tons of other Volo City events that we will be hosting throughout the year.
Is this a competitive league?
Volo City is a social sports company! While we do offer some competitive leagues (these are typically noted as competitive in their title) most of our leagues are social leagues. Dependent on league size we may offer A Division and B Division. A Division is slightly more competitive while B Division is slightly less competitive. Check each league for further details.
What’s a VOLO DC Volleyball night like?
Tons of fun! On game night we recommend that you’ll want to arrive 10-15 minutes before your game to meet your teammates and get ready to play. Games play to best of 5 SETS. Scoring consists of 21-21-21-11-11. After your game ends head to our sponsor bar for drink specials and getting to know your fellow volleyball players!
How big is a team?
The minimum number for a volleyball team is 9 players. If you do not reach team status fear not, we will merge you with other groups to hit the minimum. Merged teams are generally larger to protect against forfeits. Want a larger or smaller team? You can register as a prepaid team to have as many or as few players on your roster.
Can I Bring A friend?
Absolutely! Friends and subs are always welcome during the regular season. Our Motto is the more the merrier! Just make sure they are wearing a shirt color similar to your team 🙂 During playoffs unfortunately all players must be a registered member of your team.
Are there gender requirements?
Yes! Each team can have a maximum of 4 males on the field. The minimum required players are 3 total players.
Rule #1: DON’T BE A D-BAG!
The purpose of Volo City Volleyball is to have fun! As an adult volleyball player, it is your personal responsibility to never allow yourself or your teammates to cross that line between fun competition and unsportsmanlike behavior. Our 6v6 league is designed to be more social and is for players of any level.
6 v 6
- 4 males max. on court
- Minimum 3 people, 1 female
- No gender rule for hits per side
4 v 4
- 2 males max. on court
- Minimum 3 people, 1 female
- No gender rule for hits per side
**NO alcohol at our facilities**
*Please show up 10 minutes early for your games to stretch*
- Out of bounds is the area outside the designated court line. The line is IN bounds.
Refs: Self ref games (there will be a staff member present for tough calls)
- If a team has less than the minimum number of players, they will forfeit 1 game for every 10 minutes past the designated start time
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited
Scoring: Rally Scoring
- 1st 3 games go to 21 (straight up)
- If it’s 2-1 in games, the fourth and fifth games are to 11 (straight up)
- The server MUST call out scores LOUDLY before each serve
- Any position can spike and block
- No 10 foot line
- You can block and then make a legal hit in a row
- No jump serves
- No Liberos
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**
Rules In Detail:
Code of Sportsmanship
- Volleyball is a self-regulated game that relies on the Honor System. If a fault occurs, you are expected to call it as such.
- Staff members are there to rule on unclear plays, settle disputes, keep the game moving and ensure player safety. While they will at times call a fault, a lack of call by a Staff does not remove your obligation to abide by the Honor System.
- Team captains must be the only players that address concerns to referees and league officials. They are expected to do so in a courteous and respectful manner, and to confine their discussions to interpretations of the rules and not challenge referees’ decisions regarding judgment.
- Players are expected to comply with the intent and spirit of the rules. Deliberately attempting to violate the rules is unacceptable.
General Game Rules
A best-of-3 format will be used for all matches. Generally, USVBA rules will be used with the following additions, exceptions and clarifications:
Teams and Players
- All players must be at least 21 years of age prior to participating in any Match and must be registered and in good standing with Volo City Volleyball (herein: the “League”).
- Rosters must include no fewer than 9 players (minimum of 2 women) but may have as many players on the roster as a team chooses with no other restrictions.
- Each team may have 6 players on the court at one time (2 females, 4 males)
- During playoffs, you may ONLY use team members on your roster
- League officials have the authority to eject anyone before, during and immediately after any match if they feel it is warranted.
- All decisions made by referees are final.
Game Start, Ending and Timing
- The team Captains will use rock-paper-scissors to determine the choice of serving first or choosing a side for the first game.
- Teams will switch sides for the second game and the team who did not serve to start the first game shall serve to start the second game.
- A time limit will be placed on all games. If time expires in the middle of a game, the team with the most points will be declared the winner of that game. If less than a two point difference exists between scores the referee or league host will set a cap and the teams will play to that point.
- Teams will forfeit 1 game for every 10 minutes past the designated start time that they do not have the legal amount of players.
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players present 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited and the team that is present will be declared the winner.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to need to forfeit a game, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. We will do everything that we can to reschedule your game, but this does not mean that your team will not receive the loss as a forfeit if we cannot accommodate your needs.
- A game ball will be provided by Volo City. Only balls provided by the league will be allowed in play.
- Players must wear athletic, closed-toed shoes (for indoor courts).
- Matches will be played as a best-of-3 format.
- Rec Scoring: Games will be played to 25 points (No win by 2). Rally Scoring will be used.
- The third game will be played to 15 points straight up. Rally scoring will be used.
- Scores should be called out loudly before each serve.
Substitutions / Rotation
- Teams are allowed an unlimited number of substitutions per match.
- Team members must rotate on the court and remain in that position until the serve has been contacted.
- The player in the back right hand corner of the rotation will be designated to serve and continue to rotate clockwise.
- Any player may block or spike at the net, regardless of rotation.
- Overhand and underhand serves are allowed. Jump serves are not allowed.
- When serving the ball, the player has 5 seconds to make contact with the ball before a side-out is called.
- If the ball is served into the net, and it goes over, it is considered a legal serve.
- The serve can be returned with a pass or a set. The serve cannot be blocked or attacked at any time.
- The serve can be made from anywhere behind the end line and within the sideline.
Playing Rules and Faults
- A maximum of three consecutive contacts per side after a serve or block attempt are allowed to return the ball.
- A block attempt is not considered a contact.
- No player may hit the ball twice in succession, except after a block.
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime, unless a ball or person driven into the net causes the contact.
- Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation.
- When executing a block or spike, a player may follow through over the net, as long as the individual doe not interfere with players on the other side of the net.
- Alcohol is not permitted inside the volleyball facility, on the grounds, or any place where prohibited by area rules. Players caught with alcohol will be REMOVED FROM THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND. Our permits are too valuable to risk!
- If League officials have reason to believe a player is too intoxicated to play, that player will be ejected.
- League Management reserves the right to suspend or expel any player from the league for any reason without refund.
Mask Enforcement Penalties:
- Volleyball is self reffed as is this rule
- Game play will stop until all players put on their masks back on
- If staff are notified of no masks, game play will stop until masks are on
- Penalty is loss of game play time that will not be given back
- 9 to 15 players will make up the final team
- Games will be played with rally scoring, best of 5 (21-21-21-11-11)
- All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)
- All small groups (2-8 players) & free agents will be merged after registration closes
- Click here for a full list of rules
Players registered with Volo DC enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo Events